RECIPE OF THE WEEK
BY LORI SHEMEK PH.D.
- 1 lb raw shelled de-veined shrimp
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsp lemon juice (preferably fresh)
- 2 tbsp dry white wine or vermouth
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp minced shallots (optional)
- 2 tbsp minced parsley (optional)
- Pinch of cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes (optional)
- Heat the skillet until hot.
- While its heating, salt, and pepper the shrimp.
- Add the oil, and swirl to coat.
- Add the shrimp, and cook 1-2 minutes, stirring or turning it until it just turns pink – you’ll be cooking it a little longer at the end, so don’t worry if you’re not sure it’s done in the middle.
- Turn the heat down, and add the butter to the pan.
- If using shallot, cook it for about a minute.
- Add the garlic, and red pepper. Cook until fragrant.
- Add the wine, lemon juice, and lemon zest (if using).
- Add the shrimp back to the pan, stir, and heat through.
- Add parsley if you have it.